Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Welcome Watercolor Wednesday

Part of today's focus is about gathering information - which means if you're an artist - gathering research. My favorite subject.

Did I ever tell you that as part of my art journey I once spent 2 years doing nothing but researching and analyzing bamboo to learn Chinese Brush painting? It was a process but it not only taught me a huge amount about bamboo - it also taught me a lot about myself. I became one with my subject matter. I knew it so well I could tell different varieties of bamboo just like you could tell the difference between an oak and a maple. 

Watercolor has taught me patience and above all else the importance of examining my subject beyond its visual properties - whether it's a tree, a flower, a landscape or a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment