Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Experimenting in Watercolor

Experimenting on Watercolor Wednesday!

Title: Early Autumn Roses
Watercolor, 10 x 14 inches
www.etsy.com/shop/pamelaharnoisart

Self expression in developing your own style of painting. What exactly does that mean and how do I find it? I don't think there's a set formula for finding it -- it sort of finds you. The most important thing I did to develop my own style was to experiment a lot. I used to paint studies of the masters for years, until one day I said to myself enough already. I started by experimenting with layering washes. I used my fingers instead of brushes, I read every book, watched videos, took many classes, painted every day, painted small and large formats, did dozens of color mixing charts. It goes on and on. Over time I got very comfortable with watercolor and gained more and more confidence. I also learned not to worry about my end results. Why should I care? With experimenting I didn't have to show it to anyone. 

You know that saying about how you don't get good at something unless you put about 10,000 hours into it? Well, there's a lot of truth in that statement. It does take a certain amount of commitment and love. BTW I also stayed focused on one thing - just watercolor. I didn't get distracted with all the other art mediums. So keep experimenting and moving onward to the next 10,000 hours ❤️🎨 #art #painting #watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment